About Me

My photo
New Hampshire, United States
Looking for a specific report? Use the "SEARCH MY PEAK REPORTS!" feature to your right.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Mt. Davis, Pennsylvania (State High Point #15), June 27, 2010.

Mt. Davis, Pennsylvania (3,215'), June 27, 2010.

Mileage:  Drive up

Directions to summit(from Don Holmes' Highpoints of the United States): from the intersection of US Highway 219 and Broadway Street in Meyersdale, PA proceed west on Broadway, bearing right onto State Secondary Route 2004 (after railroad tracks), for 9.6 miles to South Wolf Rock Rd (left). S. Wolf Rock Rd is .4 miles west of the Mount Davis picnic area. Turn left on S. Wolf Rock Rd and go .7 miles to Mt. Davis parking area on the left.  The large boulder near the observation tower is the highpoint.

This was destination #1 of my highpointing hat trick (see MD and WV reports).  Many highpointers choose these three in one day as each are an hour apart from the other.  I flew in from Pittsburgh for a conference a day early to explore the region's highpoints and hopefully check three off my list.

The drive to Mt. Davis seemed to take forever but eventually I reached the parking lot, which was all but empty.  


It was a short walk to the observation tower which was run down and unimpressive. 

A little rickety?  I chose not to go up there.


The USGS marker looked badly beaten.

The rock that marks the high point of Pennsylvania.
After a few photos I jumped into the rental car and headed to my next highpoint, Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment