About Me

My photo
New Hampshire, United States
Looking for a specific report? Use the "SEARCH MY PEAK REPORTS!" feature to your right.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Taum Sauk Mountain, Missouri (State High Point #14), March 8, 2010

Taum Sauk Mountain , Missouri (1,772'), March 8, 2010.


Mileage: Drive up

Directions to summit:  (from summitpost.org) Head south on State Route 21 from Arcadia, Missouri for about 4 1/2 miles. Turn right onto Highway CC which is signed for Taum Sauk Mountain State Park. After a few miles the pavement ends near a fork in the road. To the left is a lookout tower, to the right is Taum Sauk Mountain State Park. Parking is at the end of the road. 

A conference in St. Louis brought me to the region and I arrived a day early to visit the state's high point.  

On the left side of the road up to the summit is a kiosk marking the trail to the tribute to Jakk Longacre, founder of the Highpointers Club (highpointers.org). The tribute is a pair of poles with arrows pointing to the various state high points.  I drove by it on my way to the summit.

There's a short walk to get to the official high point. The lot had just a few cars in it but I didn't see anyone. 


Here's the highpoint, plaque next to the rock.



On the way back down the road I stopped and took the path to the Jakk Longacre site. The walk was longer than anticipated and leaves blocked some of the path but I found it.  




Tribute to Jakk Longacre

Then I headed back to St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment